Purpose

To guide people into the world of triathlon. To instruct and educate those seeking a start as a triathlete. To increase the passion for fitness and health in the community and the world.




Picture provided by Gil Katerynych

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spring is in the air...

As the weather continues to get nicer, more and more people are beginning to think about heading outdoors and start training. We are in the middle of February and the weather looks like it's going to continue to stay in the plus region. For those who have decided they want to race a triathlon this summer, this means they are starting to think about moving away from the gym and the stationary trainer and want to go outside.

Spring is definetly in the air! The last couple weeks, as the weather has gotten nicer, I've been itching to go running and biking outside. Last week, I left my house early Tuesday morning and found that it was nearly impossible to go for a run. Although the sidewalk looked fine, there was a thin coat of ice covering it. It made it too slippery to get any grip from my shoes. I attempted to walk to the end of the block and see if it got any better. To my dismay, it didn't... so I had to turn around and go back home. I think I may have to invest in those ice grippers. Too bad.

Even though the weather is getting nicer, please be aware of what it's like outside. The weather is nice during the day, melting all the snow, but overnight it's freezing on the sidewalks. Maybe in another week or two of training inside would be wise... or for those people who just can't wait for it to all be gone, good luck out there.

I myself am running outside and biking into work. I would love to take my road bike out on the roads and go for a nice long ride. But even though the roads are snow free, I'm still very hesitant as they are covered in gravel. I'm too much of a chicken to be riding on that. But as soon as the roads have been cleaned (knowing Calgary, it won't be till May) I'll be going for some good road rides. It just isn't the same on the pathways.

No comments:

Post a Comment